LAKELAND, Fla. -- Just as the Tigers were getting their roster back to full health, they lost Jhonny Peralta on Monday to a food allergy. Thankfully, it sounds more like a fluke mishap than anything that should linger.
"He ate clam chowder, and he's allergic to it," Leyland said.
The incident happened after pregame batting practice. Peralta was written into the lineup at shortstop, but he was scratched about a half-hour before first pitch. Danny Worth, who had been scheduled to start at third, moved over to short, with Matt Tuiasosopo entering the lineup.
According to Leyland, it was an innocent mistake, though he has no idea how it happened.
"He didn't realize it was clam chowder," Leyland said, "until he ate some of it and didn't feel too good and he went in the training room sick. I don't expect it to be anything of a lasting thing. I doubt that he'll be eating any clam chowder in the near future."
Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.