Miguel Cabrera named MLB Player of the Year, presented by Gillette Odor Shield
Miguel Cabrera, third baseman for the Detroit Tigers, has been named the Player of the Year within SN’s 2012 MLB Awards, presented by Gillette Odor Shield.
Cabrera finished the season with a .330 batting average, 44 homers and 139 RBIs, resulting in the majors’ first Triple Crown since 1967. His .606 slugging percentage and .999 OPS also led the majors. In addition, he scored 109 runs, clubbed 40 doubles and posted a .393 on-base percentage for the AL Central champions and AL pennant winners.
“He’s a great hitter having a great year. He played his best when we needed him to, down the stretch,” teammate Justin Verlander said.
He’s the best hitter I’ve ever seen other than (Ted) Williams. He’s just amazing. Watch him day in and day out, he very seldom takes a bad swing. To be able to use the whole field the way he does with power, my goodness,” Tigers great Al Kaline said.
Sporting News’ Player of the Year award was decided on by both American & National League MLB players.
All of vote-getters:
Player of the year (voting by AL and NL players)
1. Miguel Cabrera (Tigers): 108 votes
2. Mike Trout (Angels): 71 votes
3. Adrian Beltre (Rangers): 5 votes
4. R.A. Dickey (Mets): 4 votes
5. Ryan Braun (Brewers)/Andrew McCutchen (Pirates): 3 votes
7. Josh Hamilton (Rangers)/Chase Headley (Padres)/David Price (Rays)/Buster Posey (Giants): 2 votes
11. Gio Gonzalez (Nationals)/Derek Jeter (Yankees)/Craig Kimbrel (Braves): 1 vote
This Week’s SN Award Schedule
Monday: AL and NL Rookies of the Year
Tuesday: AL and NL Comeback Players of the Year
Wednesday: AL and NL Managers of the Year
Thursday: AL and NL All-Star Teams
Friday: MLB Player of the Year